Hi there, fellow self-talkers!
I’m Jim Van Wyck, your friendly news curator for SelfTalkCenter.com. Today I want to share with you all my insights from an amazing article from Psychology Today.
This article blew my mind. It made me realize how much my negative self-images were affecting my self-esteem and well-being. And it gave me some practical tips on how to overcome them with mindfulness and compassion.
I learned how to turn my inner critic into my inner coach, and how to create a more positive and empowering reality with my self talk.
I think you’ll love this article too. That’s why I summarized it below. So read on.
It’s full of insights, examples, and exercises that will help you improve your self talk and your life.
Main Points In This Article
Negative self-images are like inner selfies that distort our reality
The article starts by explaining how we often have negative self-images that are based on our past experiences, judgments, and beliefs. These self-images are like inner selfies that we take with a distorted lens. They make us see ourselves in a negative and unrealistic way, and they affect our self-esteem and well-being.
Negative self-images can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies
The article then shows how negative self-images can influence our behavior and outcomes. For example, if we have a self-image of being unattractive, we may avoid social situations, dress poorly, or act insecurely.
This can make us appear less attractive to others, and confirm our negative self-image.
This is called a self-fulfilling prophecy, where our expectations create our reality.
Mindfulness can help us become aware of our negative self-images
The first step to overcoming our negative self-images is to become aware of them.
We can do this by practicing mindfulness, which is the ability to pay attention to the present moment with curiosity and openness. Mindfulness can help us notice when we are taking negative inner selfies, and how they make us feel and act.
Compassion can help us challenge and change our negative self-images
The article also recommends that we practice compassion, which is the ability to feel kindness and empathy for ourselves and others.
Compassion can help us challenge and change our negative self-images, by replacing them with more positive and realistic ones.
For example, we can use affirmations, gratitude, or positive feedback to create new inner selfies that reflect our true worth and potential.
Positive self-talk can help us create a more empowering reality
The piece concludes by highlighting the power of positive self-talk, which is the way we communicate with ourselves in our minds. Positive self-talk can help us create a more empowering reality, by reinforcing our positive self-images and influencing our behavior and outcomes.
For example, we can use positive self-talk to motivate ourselves, cope with challenges, or celebrate our achievements.
Learn more about cutting down your negative self talk.
My Biggest Takeaway
This article taught me a lot about self talk and self esteem.
But the one biggest takeaway for me was this: We are not our negative self-images.
We are so much more than that. We are complex, unique, and valuable human beings. And we deserve to see ourselves in a positive and realistic light.
This is important to remember, because our self-images affect our happiness and success. If we let our negative inner selfies dominate our minds, we will miss out on the opportunities and joys life offers. But cultivating positive inner selfies with mindfulness and compassion will create a more empowering reality for ourselves and others.
So let’s stop taking negative inner selfies, and start taking positive ones.
Let’s change our self talk, and change our lives.
Let’s be kind to ourselves, and to each other. And let’s make the world a better place, one selfie at a time.😊
Related Articles From Around The Internet
If you want to learn more about self talk and self esteem, you’re in luck. There are plenty of articles out there that can help you understand and improve your inner dialogue.
Here are some of the ones I found interesting and helpful:
- Self-talk – what is it and why is it important? | healthdirect – This article explains what self-talk is, how it affects us, and how to use it positively. It also provides some examples of positive and negative self-talk, and some tips on how to practice positive self-talk.
- Self-esteem: Take steps to feel better about yourself – Mayo Clinic – This article offers some practical steps to boost your self-esteem, such as identifying and challenging negative thoughts, focusing on your strengths, setting realistic goals, and being kind to yourself. It also warns about the signs of low self-esteem, such as avoiding new challenges, feeling unloved, or blaming others for your problems.
- What is Positive Self-Talk? (Incl. Examples) – PositivePsychology.com – This article provides a comprehensive overview of positive self-talk, including its definition, benefits, evidence, examples, techniques, exercises, activities, worksheets, books, videos, and quotes. It covers everything you need to know about positive self-talk and how to apply it in your life.
- Positive Self-Talk Benefits, Mantras, Techniques for Better Health – Dr Axe – This article focuses on the health benefits of positive self-talk, such as reducing stress, improving mood, boosting immunity, and preventing chronic diseases. It also gives some examples of positive mantras and affirmations that you can use to improve your self-talk.
- How to Practice Positive Self-Talk to Boost Your Self-Esteem – This article shares some tips on how to practice positive self-talk to enhance your self-esteem and confidence. It suggests that you should be aware of your negative thoughts, replace them with positive ones, use the present tense, be specific, and repeat them often.